Monday, September 29, 2008

For the Children

Carma and I have decided (at least tentatively) to make the ultimate sacrifice for our children.

We are planning to take them to Disney World in December.

Now, we've watched the brochure DVD (that made Carma wish we had a girl so she could be a princess) and have decided for sure to go to the Magic Kindom and the Disney Hollywood Whatever It Is Called.

We are planning on four days in the area, and are very seriously considering doing the Universal Studios parks the remaining two days instead of the other Disney stuff. We don't think Epcot 1) looks very interesting and 2) would hold much interest for the younger demographic in our family.

The Animal Kingdom...I don't know why, but I harbor a negative bias towards it for some reason that makes me not want to go there at all. Not that it's ever done anything to me, though I must say I never really liked The Lion King. And I hate zoos. So, maybe that's it.

Anyway, I guess one of the main reasons for this post is a call for anyone with Disney/Universal/Orlando experience to give us any tips, tricks, or ideas you may have to help our trip go smoothly.

Many thanks in advance!

3 comments:

Becca said...

We just got back from Walt Disney World and had a blast! We went in with little expectations and plans. It was great - we planned the night before which park we were going to go to next and if we didn't like it, we left at lunch time and went to another one.

One thing we wished we would have done when we first got there was make dinner reservations before we had gone. Everything was booked. But, then again it was kind of nice to just eat cafe' meals too and not have to worry about getting to a reservation or wherever it was or if it wasn't on the meal plan or not.

My kids were really into getting autographs, which surprised me. Maile had suggested we take autograph books and I'm so glad we did (of course you can buy them there for an arm and a leg).

We had a blast and can't wait to go again! I'm sure you guys are going to enjoy it so much! What a fun trip!

Jess said...

We love Disney! (But I must admit we are Disney purists and have never been to Universal). Get the Disney meal plan if you are staying at a resort--for $38/day you get a sit-down meal, a fast food meal, and a snack. If you plan right you can eat at a nice sit down place that would cost you more than $38 (appetizer, meal, and dessert is included). Animal Kingdom is more than just a zoo--there is a dinosaur park that your boys would like, and it also has some good rides for the kids. I like Epcot--best places to eat, so we would usually go someplace else and then end up here in the evening for dinner. Finding Nemo in Epcot is fabulous--there is an interactive show with Crush the turtle. I'm excited for you guys--what a fun trip!

Leslie said...

We met Shelley & Marty down in Orlando last Thanksgiving and it was amazing! We hit all four Disney Parks and there is a lot at Epcot that your boys would love. I have also been to Epcot sans kids and there is a lot geared towards adults too. You will have a fabulous time whatever you do - it will be so fun! We gambled a little and got discount tickets from one of the vendors near our resort and it worked out well and we saved a chunk of change, so if you are thinking of it, let me know and I will tell you which one to go to - there are a bunch. We also packed in as many snacks as we could... Have a blast! Wish we were there!