Wednesday, October 01, 2008

NOT for the Children

So, as a reward for making the *ahem* "Ultimate Sacrifice" for our children, Carma and I have decided to celebrate our (still a little ways away) 10-year anniversary in style. Well, at least in a style as-of-yet not familar to us.

In February (approximately our 9.5 year anniversary mark) Carma and I will spend a week helping clean, restore and preserve the wetlands in North Dakota. Unknown to many in the U.S., the Missouri River is essentially a HUGE lake due to damming, which helps foster the wetlands. But much of it is in danger, as nearly half of the wetlands have been lost in the last decade. We have volunteered to spend a week camping, and helping to clean a portion of the lands in need. This opportunity is coordinated in part by the North Dakota Great Plains Project. We will be serving near the Little Missouri State Park area, closest town is Killdeer, ND- population 713.

I know this comes as a great surprise to many of you. I mean, who goes to North Dakota wetlands in February to camp and clean?

Um, not us. Totally kidding. We're going on a cruise.

4 comments:

jennybhill said...

"volunteer to spend a week camping" -- um, Greg is writing this? That line was my tipoff :)

Maile said...

Wow, I was going to be so impressed by your dedication. =) A cruise sounds like a lot more fun!

Opa said...

We'll, I had high hopes for you, but now I am greatly disappointed. It's hard to clean wetlands when they are frozen over!

Mom said...

You didn't have me fooled! But who is going to go do the volunteer work?