Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sheer Genius

Bravo, Apple. Bravo.

For iTunes addicts like myself, Apple has essentially just put their hand in my wallet (and many other wallets and purses out there) and made themselves comfortable. Somehow they managed to do this while keeping me perfectly happy and content.

So, last week or so, iTunes version 8.0 came out. This version has several new things (including HD shows), but I'm taken in by a new feature called Genius. Genius essentially has two functions: the Playlist, and the Sidebar.

The Playlist may make your own carefully constructed playlists in iTunes obsolete. All you have to do (on the computer, or your iPod or iPhone) is select one single song, and Genius will automatically create a playlist of 25 songs out of your library for you. The songs are usually deemed related by genre, year, and even tempo. This almost makes it too easy. Not to mention addictive and possibly dangerous.

All this time I've been trying to organize my music, I now don't have to spend. Why do I need separate playlists for "Grunge" and "Mellow" and "Hard Rock Workout"? Now all I have to do is pick a song, press the Genius button, and I'm set. Gone are the days of 200 song playlists- no one listens to that many songs in one session anyway. So yeah, wow. I'm totally cool with this.

Now, the double-edged sword strikes. On your iTunes library you can now have the Genius Sidebar. The Genius sidebar allows you to click on a song, and it automatically shows you all the closest matches to that song that you don't already own. That's right.  It uses your library against you, not unlike those photographers who use your own cute kids against you.

"Oh look at that. You remember this song, right! Yeah, I knew you'd like it. It's only $.99. C'mon, for old times sake. You know you want it."

I mean, really. The Genius Sidebar found They Might Be Giants songs that I didn't know I didn't have (or even knew existed). I didn't think that was possible. Add this to the fact that I've been stagnating in my music, looking for some fresh tunes to listen to. I have no defense against this.

So Bravo, Apple. Bravo. 
Enjoy my wallet until my wife cuts me off.


2 comments:

Emily said...

Another thing I recently heard about the iPhone is that you can hold it up to your TV or the radio when a song is playing and it will automatically tell you what the song is and let you download it right there!! Do you do that ever?

Lincolnlogger said...

There is an application that will identify songs for you, and if you have Wi-Fi in the immediate vicinity, you could buy the song off iTunes. I have not done this.

However, the rumors are not true that having the iPhone improves your gas mileage, slows the aging process, clears up acne, or whitens your teeth. It is however, 100 times better than the "Instinct".