Wednesday, September 17, 2008

State of the Blog Address

My fellow readers,

It gives me great pleasure today to report that the blog is stronger today than ever before.

*waits for applause to die down*

The following statistics are tracked by SiteMeter (a cool and free tool for Bloggers).

Since April 28th, the Lincoln Blog has had 763 visits, which is about 4 per day. I want to thank people for their continued patronage. I know there's a lot of blogs out there, thanks for reading mine.

I extend a special welcome to the international visitors, I've had visits from Brazil, Costa Rica, Argentina, the United Kingdom, Germany, and Australia. I have no idea why you care, but thanks for coming.

Locally, we've had visitors from at least 22 states. We'll work hard on getting all the others represented!

What I find very interesting is how people come to this blog. Some people have it bookmarked and check periodically. Some follow links to it from other blog sites (thank you for those links). Some even track it via the "Follow Blogs" feature on Blogger, or via a third-party site like Bloglines.

One of the more weirdly captivating things for me is seeing how people got here that didn't mean to. Among the last 100 visitors, 10 of them arrived here because they Googled some combination of "smoking cigarettes and watching captain kangaroo", which was not only the title of one post, but is also the catchy chorus in a song sung by the Statler Brothers called "Countin' Flowers On the Wall". Apparently since this is a post title for me, it rockets my blog post up to #3 on the Google charts for this search. I can only imagine how disappointed all those people were to find the post had nothing at all to do with the song (other than the song was stuck in my head that day).

At this point, I also want to comment that I've got a lot of links over to the left. Don't be afraid to click them. I don't make money on it or anything, but just fun stuff I thought I'd share.

I'd also like to invite Bloggers to use the "Follow This Blog" link on the left to list yourself among the daring, bold, and perhaps trend-setting people who are brave enough to consider themselves dedicated readers. No pressure though.

Thanks again everyone, and happy reading!

2 comments:

Maile said...

That is so funny that your blog shows up for that song title search!

Michelle said...

OK, so I just signed up for the site counter thing today, and it is so fun! I have checked it today about five times (so far).