Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ruh Roh Raggy!

The latest phase in the cartoon world amongst the younger demographic in our household has become almost alarmingly an addiction. Sadly, it was as a result of me trying some new recordings for them. They'd seen most of the Spiderman and Superman cartoons, and Carma thought they should have a break from Superheroes for a bit. So, thanks to Boomerang (the "classic" cartoon channel) I was able to get some new choices fairly easily. I recorded some Jetsons, and the Flintstones. Both were received slightly warmly. But then, they watched Scooby-Doo.

They usually only get to watch cartoons once, twice at most per day. Now, they are focused little guys trying to watch as much Scooby-Doo as possible. Thurman loves it, because he (being a bright boy) has already figured out the "pattern" to the show, and tries to guess who the bad guy really is. Nico, his favorite parts are the chase scenes and crashes. Having a talking dog is also a plus in his book.

Carma was relatively happy with their choice a couple of days ago ("Hey, my mom even let us watch that!"), but now is regretting it a bit more ("This show makes no sense, it's completely unrealistic.") Myself, I remember loving the show as a kid. Now I watch a bit of it, and wonder what I was thinking. The laugh tracks, the horrible music, and complete predictability make it hard for me to watch. I guess there's some things you just need to be a kid to really enjoy. My enjoyment comes from hearing them laugh and have a good time.

4 comments:

Carma said...

Just to set the record straight, what I said was, "this show is stupid!"

Emily said...

I've had a similar experience recently with "Saved By the Bell." When I was younger, it was sooo funny, realistic, etc. etc. Now, I recently discovered that it is on TBS at 7 am (when I am getting ready for work), and my first thoughts were "this show is stupid!" I guess some things are supposed to only be enjoyed at certain times in your life.

jennybhill said...

Was the movie they made recently any good? Do they know about it?

Emily, your comment about Saved by the Bell is so funny. I'm sure I'd have the same reaction if I watched it now.

Mom said...

Scooby Doo....I babysat some kids in the ward and they wanted to watch a Scooby Doo movie...I am still recovering. Sorry, I didn't ever get to watch this as a kid, so never got to appreciate it, but I'm glad they like it.