Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Decisions

After my own internal debate, consulting with my wife, internet research, and more internal debate, I finally decided to not get the new iPhone.

As many of you are aware, the new phone was made available to the teeming masses last Friday. It has many upgrades over the original version that I thought would be cool, but eventually deemed to be unnecessary.

The biggest improvements I was considering were the speed (new 3G network capabilities, which is prevalent here in the NYC area) and the thought of upping my memory to 16GB. The improved audio, reception, and non-recessed headphone jack were also exciting, but not really deciding factors.

The main reasons I decided to not get it were 1) I've only had my original iPhone for not quite a year and 2) it did seem silly to shell out another $300 so soon, and 3) the biggest improvement I was looking forward to wasn't limited to the new version. The software upgrade (iPhone 2.0) would also be available for the original iPhones as well, which enables downloads from the new Applications Store- a very exciting prospect. This allows users to further customize their phone with all sorts of nifty gadgets, doo-hickeys, whatnots, and more importantly, games.

So, I was trying to be at peace with my decision, and mostly succeeding. I'd tell myself, "I don't need it." As additional motivation, I told myself I didn't need to have a new phone just to try to one-up my father-in-law (Sprint Instinct), especially since the added functionality on the old phone still was already better. :) Heck, I even prayed to ask for help in not wanting it. Also, I told myself- there was no way I could waste all that time trying to get it on Friday- as we (Nico, Emily, Richie, and I) were leaving for D.C. that afternoon and I had a lot to do before then.

So, all that weekend, I was perfectly content with the decision. Right up until the point on Sunday when my iPhone slipped out of my fingers and crashed to the pavement, shattering the glass screen.

I nearly cried. It was almost like losing a favorite pet.

So, in the end, the decision was made for me. Monday morning, I had to go get a new phone. And there was really only one choice available. I'd done all the research. So I went to the 5th Ave. Apple store early Monday morning, waited in line for 90 minutes, and got the new iPhone.

Yes, it's awesome, but so was the original. It's a nice upgrade, certainly. But I'm still slightly morose about having to make the purchase in the first place. I guess I still feel like I made the right decision.

1 comment:

Maile said...

Oh, boy. I feel for you, I really do. Peter is convinced he needs the new one and is subtly and slowly trying to convince me of the same. I'll have to tell him that unless his breaks, he should check out your arguments against getting the new one.