Monday, May 12, 2008

The Brains of the Outfit

Occasionally Carma and I will get into a discussion about who is smarter (we always argue that the other one is smarter) of the two of us. She'll insist that I know things she doesn't, and I'll argue that she knows worthwhile things while my strengths are meaningless trivia and tidbits. Essentially, we eventually agree that we're both pretty smart. However, deep down I totally know she's smarter than I am.

One of the few problems with having a wife who is incredibly smart is that you really can't get much past her. That, combined with my utter lack of a poker face, means that really I am incapable of getting away with anything.

Not that I try to get away with stuff. But you know, husbands have secret things they must do occasionally. Like getting Christmas presents, or planning birthday surprises. However, I should have learned by now.

The last time I tried to surprise Carma with a birthday party was in 2004, soon before we were leaving Iowa form NYC. The details are kind of fuzzy now, but I do remember thinking I had kept everything a secret right up to the moment when, two blocks from our house (where everyone was waiting), Carma asked me something to the effect of "So, how many people are going to be at my surprise party today?" That was before the party was confirmed to her by 1) recognizing some of the cars parked along the street and 2) seeing one of the guests pretending to go to another house in a vain attempt to not spoil the surprise.

So, needless to say, my efforts for Carma's birthday surprises this weekend were mostly not surprises by the time they occurred. In fact, one morning as we prepared to board the ferry to NYC she told me "I can't lie anymore. I know what you have planned."

Despite the lack of surprises, she still seemed to enjoy everything though. She was surprised on Friday to receive flowers and chocolates delivered to her work, or at least I think she was. On Saturday she opened some presents, and we headed into the city for an evening. The first stop (after checking into the hotel) was The View restaurant, for an elegant 2-hour dinner overlooking the entire city. The View is situated atop the Marriott Grand Marquis hotel in Times Square, and is NYC's only revolving restaurant. It is also mostly for tourists, but we let that slide.

After dinner, we went to see "Curtains: The Musical" starring David Hyde-Pierce (not a surprise), which we both enjoyed. We were going to go get ice cream after the show, but were both still too full from dinner. So, we had a nice relaxing night at the hotel and a good night's sleep. On Sunday (no more surprises planned) we had a nice family dinner (with extra family in town!), which was actually breakfast since that is Carma's favorite kind of food. And cake, of course. I made sure to get her favorite (carrot) in addition to the usual chocolate.

I tried not to be disappointed that she wasn't surprised by most things (and mostly succeeded). After all, the main purpose was to for her to enjoy everything, not to be a big "Gotcha!". So, all in all, I think she thought it was a good birthday. Which maybe was a surprise enough. :)

1 comment:

Maile said...

Good for you for planning such a great birthday anyway! I can't get anything by Peter either... mostly because he's completely nosy if he things anything is being planned and can't seem to stop himself from figuring out what he can.

My favorite is carrot cake too...must be another reason Carma and I get along!